When it comes to newborn care, gentle and effective are two of the most important things on the minds of new moms. Newborns are so soft, sweet, and delicate. So which lotion is the best baby lotion for newborns with sensitive skin?
- Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture – See it here
- Thicker texture, but not too creamy
- Scent free, but available in lavender scent
- Affordable, but be careful where you buy it from
- Johnson’s Baby Lotion – See it here
- Thinner texture
- Smells like baby powder
- Affordable, but some complain the new formula is too thin
- The Bambo Nature Snuggle Time Body Lotion – See it here
- Thick, but a little goes a long way
- Scent free
- Pricey, especially when compared to others. But the product has a loyal following.
Overall, all these options are going to be safe, gentle options for your baby’s skin. What you need to decide is what works best for you and your family? Ultimately all of the parenting comes down to deciding what you want to prioritize and all of these lotions are fantastic options.
Despite all our best efforts to prepare for our new baby we didn’t anticipate our little one to have such dry skin. Her poor little fingers and face were peeling and I, the new mother, was distraught. What can I even use on her skin?! I tried the generic brand lotion, the same stuff I use, and my poor little girl was still just as peelie as ever and her cradle cap was out of control!
I tried a ton of products out there and I am here to share my research with all of you wonderful parents so that now you don’t have to. You’re welcome! Here are the three questions you should be asking when looking at baby lotions…
What does it smell like?
One thing I always consider when buying lotion for my little one is what does it smell like? Don’t ever get a lotion that has synthetic fragrances–that’s a no-go for newborns. But lots of lotions out there have natural fragrances that can safely be used on your little one. Newborns are so sensitive to their environment that IF you are going to get a lotion that is scented, you’ll want to find one that is calm and soothing. Think lavender scented or chamomile. The smell of a lotion might seem like a decadent thing to consider, but trust me it’s really important. You and the baby are going to be smelling this all the time. All. The. Time. So make sure it’s something you can handle for the long run or scent-free altogether.
How does it feel?
How the lotion feels is really important. Is it thick, smooth, or maybe greasy? A lot of this comes down to personal preference but it is an important feature to consider. Some of the thicker, creamier lotions last for a longer period of time before needing to be reapplied. That said, the thick lotions tend to be more troublesome to apply and rub onto a baby. Thicker lotions also tend to leave a residue that people find to be greasy. The softer, smoother lotions go on baby really easily but can also be absorbed into the skin quickly enough to need to be reapplied. But the smoother lotions also tend to be lighter and less greasy on a baby. Depending on what your little one needs you might find one texture preferable than the other.
Is it gentle?
A gentle lotion is critical for newborns. For me, this one is a deal breaker. When it comes to finding a gentle lotion you need to find one that is hypoallergenic, has no synthetic dyes or fragrances, and is free of preservatives. Don’t worry, I did the homework for you. Nothing we’ve recommended is going to be “harsh” on baby’s skin. But it’s important to know what makes your baby’s lotion gentle and it is the number one most important feature when looking at lotions for your newborn.
With that said, after a lot of thinking I have 3 recommendations for baby lotion…
|Brand||Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion||Johnson’s Baby Lotion||Bambo Nature Snuggle Time Body Lotion|
|Scent||Scent-Free (Lavender scented option available)||Baby Scent/Baby Powder||Scent-Free|
|Texture||Thicker||Thin and smooth||Thick and creamy|
Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion
The people at Aveeno really know their stuff when it comes to providing a quality lotion for everyone–even baby. Their line of baby lotion is fabulous and the Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion is perfect for baby.
- Scent: This is a fragrance-free lotion for baby that will have new moms swooning over this perfectly neutral smell. There is a lavender lotion available as well, but the fragrance-free option, at least for the Aveeno line, is more popular.
- Texture: I found this option to be a bit on the thicker side. Not so far as a dense, heavy cream, but it is certainly not the lightweight lotion option. This is somewhere in the middle and sometimes a middle ground is the best compromise if you’re not sure which is best.
- Gentle: Yes! Check out the active ingredients here
Dimethicone 1.2% (Skin Protectant)Inactive Ingredients: Water, glycerin, distearyldimonium chloride, petrolatum, isopropyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, avena sativa (oat) kernel flour, benzyl alcohol, allantoin, sodium chloride.
- Good to know: This is a great product for a decent price that can be purchased easily. One of the great things about Aveeno and its other products is that you can get it at your local store. But be warned, Amazon users have complained that fake Aveeno products are being sold by some sellers. Bottles of Aveeno products are being refilled with a lesser quality product then sold to online shoppers as a scam. Make sure to by from a verified seller or straight from Aveeno as a distributor.
Johnson’s Baby Lotion
I love Johnson’s Baby Lotion for being such a devoted, household brand. Johnson’s recently reformulated their baby lotion to include better ingredients. Not because of some recall or because one of the ingredients was “bad” for baby, but because they are committed to using the bet ingredients. And new, better ingredients became a priority. They replaced their mineral oil with naturally-derived coconut oil which I love! How great is it that they work so hard to keep our babies using only the best of the best? Gotta love their integrity.
- Scent: This lotion has a soft “baby scent” that is subtle and absolutely not the result of some synthetic, fake added fragrance. Nope. This baby-scented lotion is part of the package deal which I love. Think baby powder smell. However, the scent is not long lasting and fades after sometime. Reapplying the lotion will bring back the sweet scent if your little one needs remoisturizing.
- Texture: This lotion runs a little on the thinner side of consistency and it also absorbs quickly. Because of its thin texture, it glides on baby smoothly and it won’t leave you with a greasy, slippery baby.
- Gentle: Johnson’s always has gentle-for-baby products that are wonderful. If you’re little one has super sensitive skin, there is even a sensitive version of the same product. Below you’ll find the ingredients
Water*, Glycerin*, Isopropyl Palmitate*, Stearic Acid*, Glyceryl Sterate*, Cetyl Alcohol*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol*, Phenoxyethanol, Polysorbate 20, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate*, Fragrance, Carbomer, p-Anisic Acid*, Sodium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum*, Ethylhexylglycerin, Titanium Dioxide*
- Good to know: Since Johnson’s is a well-known baby brand you will easily find this product in any store. The price point keeps my wallet in check. Since the lotion was reformulated some users have complained that the new formula is too watered down from the old lotion that people loved. You can decide what you want about the new formula, but I think it’s fantastic to see this company keeping up with what is best for baby. Even if it means a thinner lotion which, let’s be real, is not that bad.
Bambo Nature Snuggle Time Body Lotion
If you’re the kind of mom who needs to be assured that her baby’s lotion is 100% organic and natural, look no further. The Bambo Nature Snuggle Time Body Lotion is absolutely perfect.
- Scent: This is a great fragrance-free option if you are looking for something that won’t give off a scent that would upset baby. Some babies are so sensitive that fragrance-free is really the way to go.
- Texture: A little goes a long way with this lotion. It’s thick and it covers a lot of surface area on your baby so be careful not to accidentally over apply this stuff. Despite its thick consistency, it absorbs surprisingly fast and leaves no residue.
- Gentle: Definitely! This product gets a serious A+ for gentle because all of the ingredients are natural and organic. Serious planning went into formulating this lotion so that nothing could be left up to question. I love that kind of thinking. Take a look at what kind of ingredients are used
Water, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cetyl Alcohol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Nasturtium Officinale (Watercress) Flower/Leaf Extract*, Pueraria Lobata (Kudzu) Root Extract*, Spiraea Ulmaria (Meadowsweet) Flower Extract*, Xanthan Gum, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Oil.*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENTS”
- Good to know: You won’t find this lotion at your local store, you’ll have to order it online if you want it. People who choose Bambo for their baby swear by it and buy it in bulk. Why? Because the company that manufactures all Bambo products are manufactured in Denmark and some buyers are worried that they need to buy in bulk in case it becomes difficult or even impossible for US buyers to have access to this beloved product. So far, I don’t see that changing but no harm in buying in bulk upfront, right?
Choose wisely, and know that you’re little one is being taken care of; this mama wouldn’t recommend a product she wouldn’t use on her own child.
Best Baby Lotion Newborns With Sensitive Skin – You Pick, We Pay Giveaway
Enter below for your chance to win your choice from the three reviewed lotions above!
18 or older